Tips for Using English Effectively for New Graduates
We surveyed 10 individuals, and unanimous consent was reached that English is a necessity. We always say that learning English, which we may encounter in many aspects of life, can transform our lives. So, is it that easy? The power of knowledge that is not put into practice decreases considerably. This content is for you who are new graduates or those whose graduation is on the verge. It will be easier to reshape your life after graduation with the tips we will give you on the effective use of English! Here are tips for using English effectively for new graduates!
If you are rapidly moving towards graduation, the closest turning point in your life, Flalingo is a stop you should stop by! The most accurate English education that will prepare you for the future you want is provided by a professional staff. One-on-one conversation-based lessons with our native English teachers will provide you with exactly the education you need. Just click to crown your student years with Flalingo!
Table of Contents:
- CV Preparation Guide
- Application Letter Preparation Tips (Cover Letter, Motivation Letter)
- Things You Should Pay Attention to When Making a Presentation
- Interview Tips
- Conclusion: The Bright Future After Graduation Goes Through Flalingo
CV Preparation Guide
You have now reached the age of showing your CV, not your ID. As each university life draws to a close, your CV begins to take shape. CV is the abbreviation of the words Curriculum Vitae and means resume. While the Latin expression "curriculum" means "frame", the word "vitae" means "life". In other words, the CV requested from you at every point is a piece of paper on which you display your entire life in front of the eyes of higher authorities. At some points, you can prepare your CV, also called "resume", correctly. Preparing it properly can be of key importance in your future. Whether you continue your higher education or enter business life, this CV should always be with you. Here are a few suggestions for a strong CV:
- Adopting a Simple Expression: Using a correct expression technique when preparing a CV will take this document to the next level. Formal, that is, objective expressions in official language should be used only for informational purposes. It will be enough to take care to explain yourself in the simplest and most direct way, without any emotion, exaggeration or attempt to establish rapport.
- Using Tenses Correctly: A CV is a document in which you reflect your life and activities chronologically. While preparing this document, tenses must be used correctly to avoid confusion for reviewers. For example, if a project you are working on is not active, it would be wrong to talk about it in the present tense. Not only can this create complications, but it can also signal unprofessionalism to someone reading your resume.
- Avoiding the Use of Pronouns: Although your CV serves as a mirror of your life, there is no need to use too much "I" language. At the same time, avoiding using other pronouns will underline that your resume is written in a more objective language and make it more effective. So, instead of saying I, you, he, she, it, you should briefly mention the activities.
- Start with Verbs: If you don't understand this suggestion at first, don't worry; The more you absorb English under the umbrella of Flalingo, the more it will mean. When preparing an English CV, you can skip the use of pronouns and use verbs directly. For example; You can start with the correct tense with verbs such as “achieved, managed, prepared, studying” and detail the lines with the remaining information.
Application Letter Preparation Tips (Cover Letter, Motivation Letter)
Where will you continue your new life after graduation? Under the umbrella of academia or in the branches of business life? Or are you aiming for both? Then I need to inform you about the application letters. Whatever your goal is, your path goes to the right place with the right application. A correct application is completed with the submission of the correct documents. Let's now look at the most important of these documents.
This document, which you may generally need for business life or internship preparation, is of critical importance for the process. A cover letter is an article that is usually one page long and tells you briefly about yourself. The reader, that is, the potential employer, needs to be greeted first. Afterwards, it will be sufficient to introduce yourself through the introduction-body-conclusion stages and explain your reasons for application.
You usually need to talk about your education, achievements, skills, experiences and motivation. Being able to write these as objectively as possible but with confidence can lead you to success.
Motivation letter, used as "letter of intent" in our language, is a type of document that is of interest to those who want to continue education after graduation. The motivation letter can be one or two pages long, depending on the institution's preference. As the name suggests, it is a type of writing in which you describe your future goals and motivations rather than being retrospective.
Here, in addition to the correct use of English, original expressions also become important. But the expression must be dignified as well as sincere. Of course, this letter, which you should write in a formal language, is also a type of writing where tenses become important. In addition, unfortunately, the penalties for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes can be severe. That's why we recommend that you read over and over again and correct your mistakes while writing both a motivation letter and a cover letter.
Things You Should Pay Attention to When Making a Presentation
While new graduates make a rapid start to life, they have to go through different stages in order to take advantage of opportunities. One of these may appear as a presentation. You may have to make a presentation at any seminar, job application or school application stage. Today, presentation will become an opportunity rather than a challenge for you.
- Speaking Practices: If you have a sufficient speaking practice background, presentations become child's play. In this situation, where you need to be familiar with verbal expression, you need to use fluent English. Your presentation can become interesting with the right pace of expression and appropriate emphasis.
For this, it is necessary to take speaking lessons while learning English. At Flalingo, lessons proceed with the correct methodology rather than rote learning. While students learn English by speaking, they achieve their target level with comprehensive learning program.
- Preparing for Future Questions: If you are giving a presentation, you should always ask the audience if they have any questions. You should take the questions asked to you with humbleness and answer them politely. For this reason, it is critical that you use the right patterns.
- Be Confident: Being confident when giving a presentation will help you overcome many issues. You need to have a confident attitude and posture in order to both attract the attention of the audience and persuade them. Guarantee applause with fluent English while demonstrating confidence with your tone of voice, eye contact and posture.
The interview, which has a similar content to the presentation, can also find you in both job and education related applications. Although you are in a monologue during the most part of the presentation, interviews take place with at least two people. While in some cases you will be given a longer time to introduce and talk about yourself, some interviews may put you to the test. So it's good to be prepared for every situation. Of course, it is important to be equipped with the subjects that the institution you apply to expects from you. However, unless you have an English proficiency that can demonstrate this, your chance of success will decrease. To prevent this, it is necessary to learn English now.
Join the Flalingo family with one click and talk a lot with native English speaking teachers. Thanks to these courses, which are almost an interview simulation, your goals will no longer be a dream. You too will embark on a successful graduation.
Conclusion: The Bright Future After Graduation Goes Through Flalingo
Conclusion: A bright future after graduation passes through Flalingo. Today we talked about the importance of correct English usage after graduation. Whether your goal is business or academia, do not set out without English. In this process, I talked about the important turning points where English will be useful to you. Take note of this information, which will come in handy at important milestones such as preparing a CV, writing application letters, making a presentation and attending an interview. On that day when you look back at these tips, Flalingo is here to provide you with the necessary help.